Our central merchandising themes will focus on autumn, winter, entertaining, and the holidays. While emphasis will be placed upon the seasonality of the Northern Hemisphere, it’s important to remember that the Southern Hemisphere is preparing for summer. Maintaining seasonally appropriate options year-round is good practice for boosting international and overall sales.
- Movember: An annual month-long event involving the growing of moustaches during the month of November. Charitable events are held to raise awareness and funds for men’s health issues. Think moustaches!
- Entertaining: The season for holiday parties begins. Think invitations, hostessing, hostess gifts, table settings, accessories, food, cocktails, recipes, seasonal decor, lighting and favors.
- Holidays: The holidays consist of two central themes — decor and gifting. Shoppers are already planning and searching for holiday-themed gifts: Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa. Major gifting categories include price, recipient, and type of gift. Think in terms of the following groupings: under $25, under $50, under $75, statement gifts, women, men, teens, children, babies, coworkers, friends, the person who has it all, pets, personalization, eco-friendly, cards, calendars, gadgets, jewelry, fashion, one-of-a-kind, gag gifts, decor, DIY options, and parties & entertaining.
- Thanksgiving: Entertaining, family, food and football. Classic Thanksgiving symbols include the turkey, cornucopia, Pilgrims and Native Americans, seasonal food, and fall foliage. Hostess gifts, table settings, and hearty treats are all items shoppers will be looking for.
- Black Friday & Cyber Monday: Recognized shopping holidays — see promotional opportunities section above to find out how you can participate in site-wide efforts.
- Winter Fashion: Shift in materials, colors, and layers in the categories of clothing, accessories, and jewelry. More specifically, key basics, layering elements, the introduction of winter accessories and outerwear components, thick fabrics and rich leathers, autumnal tones, vintage boots and heavy-weight all-weather bags. Tagging Tip: Try adding the term “fashion” to appropriate items to reach a broader shopping audience.
- Autumn & Winter: Home decor, entertaining, food and recipes, seasonal activities, woodland motifs and nature’s symbols.
- Weddings: Late autumn and winter weddings are currently underway; take advantage of seasonally-themed gift ideas, guest attire, as well as any final details that last-minute buyers may still need to purchase. Don’t forget to stay a step ahead for brides currently planning and shopping for 2012 spring and summer weddings.
- Birthdays: November’s birthstone is Citrine and astrological signs are Scorpio andSagittarius (October 24 — November 22: Scorpio, November 23 — December 21: Sagittarius).