Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pricing Tips

Kelly Rae Roberts is the author of Taking Flight: Inspiration + Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings, a bestselling book that encompasses all aspects of what it means to live the creative life. Her work has been featured in a variety of media, including Cloth Paper Scissors, Somerset Studios (her artwork was on the 03/2010 cover!), Where Women Create, Memory Makers, and more. Kelly will be participating in this year’s THE CREATIVE CONNECTION EVENT, a national conference and market celebrating creative women and entrepreneurs in St. Paul, Minnesota, from September 15 – 17, 2011.



Pricing: It’s a tricky thing. I’ve struggled with it (and still do), but especially when I started out. Original works are very hard to price because they are, indeed, one of a kind works that likely took a lot of time to create. In my first attempts at pricing my originals, I sold them at or around $100-200. Many years later (and with much more experience), I now charge anywhere from $200-$900 for a painting.
Here are some factors to consider when pricing your own work:
Time: How long did it take you to create that piece? Was it three hours? Ten hours? Give yourself an hourly wage. When I first started out, I paid myself $20 an hour, so if a painting took me five hours to paint, I’d consider starting my price analysis at $100. However, I wouldn’t stop there. That price could go up with the following considerations…
Experience: How long have you been doing this? A long time? A short time? Using the example above of paying myself $20 an hour when I was a beginner, let’s say some time has passed and I’ve gained more experience. Let’s even say I have some press mentions, a larger audience, maybe I’ve even been published. That $20 per hour may need to jump up to $30 an hour, or maybe more! Just remember, be sure to pay yourself and give yourself raises as your accomplishments increase – just like any other job.

read more here:

No comments:

Pages- Click on Links to view different pages of my blog...

Would you like me to send you my newsletter when I have new creations? Be the first for sales info and have the PERKS of being on my mailing list? Why not subscribe today?
Enter your Email to join List:

Powered by: MessageBot

Rabbit Hollow Prims- When Only The Best Will Do! Headline Animator

Etsy Items You Can Buy Right Here From This Widgit......

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007,2008. Photos, text and artwork are property of Susan O'Connor. All rights reserved. Content of this site may not be reproduced in any manner without written permission. Thank you for respecting this policy!