Friday, February 18, 2011

Starting an Etsy Shoppe from the Bottom Up

Zero hearts. Zero sales. These are scary numbers, but they hold a wealth of potential.  I was very fortunate to make a sale within a week of posting something in our shop Beantown Handmade on Etsy, and at the time I contributed all our success to having our adorable six-month-old Boston Terrier puppy, Bean, modeling the merchandise. Looking back now with much more knowledge of Etsy and handmade business, I can see that I did several things right. Even if you don’t have access to an adorable puppy that will sit freakishly still like a statue, you can set yourself apart from the crowd.
1. I made something unique. I can’t stress enough how much I would encourage you to strive towards creating something completely your own. Having been looking at shops on Etsy every day for several years now, I feel I can pretty quickly identify who is creating their own identity as a handmade artist and who is taking bits and pieces of what they see other artists making. I get really excited when I find an Etsy shop that finally traces the source of a particular trending item back to its origin. I want the best. I want the original goods. Most customers do, too. In the perfect words of Shelly Kennedy, Be Your Original Best.

Read the rest of the article here:


http://www.handmadeology.com/starting-an-etsy-shop-from-the-bottom-up/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+handmadeologytoday+%28Handmadeology%29

No comments:

Pages- Click on Links to view different pages of my blog...

Would you like me to send you my newsletter when I have new creations? Be the first for sales info and have the PERKS of being on my mailing list? Why not subscribe today?
Enter your Email to join List:

Powered by: MessageBot

Rabbit Hollow Prims- When Only The Best Will Do! Headline Animator

Etsy Items You Can Buy Right Here From This Widgit......

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007,2008. Photos, text and artwork are property of Susan O'Connor. All rights reserved. Content of this site may not be reproduced in any manner without written permission. Thank you for respecting this policy!